29 November 2009

There's no use crying...

...over spilt coffee!
So, I'm sure at least some of you are familiar with the phrase, "no use crying over spilt milk." Well, I would never do that because I don't really like milk to begin with. The only thing it's actually good for is coffee and cooking. Technically, I spilt the milk that was inside my coffee, yet I was beyond crying at that point because my list of mis-haps had gotten so long, that I laughed and headed for a camera instead.
(I'll explain the glass jar inside the coffee cup later)
Have you ever had a day like that? Where everything just seems to go wrong? Well, I've had a series of them and thought I would share some of them with you and a little of what I have learned thus far. Hopefully you will get a chuckle out of most of them. For those of you who really know me, know this is normal. Those of you who know me only through Poland have been somehow spared from my clumsiness so far. (until Thanksgiving, that was)

Happy Birthday: Joshua's birthday (my bro) was Nov 14 and I called to wish him a happy birthday only to get his voicemail. I started into the song and got through "Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you...." and totally blanked on the words. All I could remember after that was monkey and too...not gonna call him that. Who forgets the words to Happy Birthday!?

Pumpkin Pie Party: We were going to start at 4 and the first people showed up at 5. Lots said they would come and then a number of them ended up sick. Sad! We still had a lot of fun - just a lot later than expected! Just one thing on top of others that didn't go as planned.

The Rotten Egg: My first and hopefully last experience ever! It was my turn to make Sunday lunch - and I decided to make quiche. It's easy, right? Got to the 5th of 6 eggs and it was ROTTEN. It squirted and landed on my upper arm, running completely down it, while the rest ran through my fingers and the crushed shell ruining the other eggs already in the bowl. With the overwhelming smell, no more eggs and quite grossed out I threw it away, opened the window washed off, etc. and ran out the door down to the bazaar for fresh eggs and finished making the pie filling where we have home group.

No Walnuts, Soup or opening car doors for me: I went to the dentist to get fillings (that should be one in it's own - can we say ouch?) and decided eating solids might not be the best idea that evening. I headed to a store to get soup - nope - it didn't want to scan so no soup for me. The lady tried explaining and asking if I really wanted it and I couldn't respond because my tongue and mouth were still numb from Novocain. (Not that my Polish is good enough anyway) The following day, the same thing happened with a bag of walnuts at another store. Was already a little bummed and went to get in the car. I kindly waited as this lady was trying to park next to us and she pulled in soooo close. I figured she would back up and straighten out but NOPE. My friend actually had to pull the car out before I could get in it.

The Kicker:
All this happened in a matter of ONE day -
- I fell out of bed while trying to stand and turn off my alarm, hurting my wrist and foot because my entire left leg was asleep and I didn't know it.
- made coffee and tried to open a small jar of sugar and the whole thing, jar included, fell into the coffee cup, splashing everywhere. (yes, that's what is in the coffee cup above if you were wondering)
- went to get the pie crust dough to start making the pumpkin pies for our Thanksgiving meal only to find the birds had gotten into it while on my balcony the night before. (There was no room in my fridge and this usually works just fine for free refrigeration but not this time!)
- was on the 2nd to last spice for pumpkin pie and dropped the thing into the mix. That was fun fishing it out of egg, milk and spice goop! Thankfully everything including my hands were clean.

Then the phone rings and I ran some stuff down to a friend, came back up to finish the pie... only to realize the following day during our Thanksgiving celebration meal that I FORGOT THE SUGAR after over half the pie was gone!!! OOPSE. I felt terrible. We had some of our Polish friends with us who had never had a traditional Thanksgiving meal before. Most had never seen a turkey cooked whole. lol... Out of all the things I could have ruined, I ruined the pies. Hopefully another first and last.

After all these things happened, at least I understand that it's so much better to laugh than to cry. You get out just as much emotion but you don't feel half as bad. These were all minor instances and distractions...but even those - over time - can become very overwhelming.
When you feel like nothing is going right or will go right.
When you add up the time spent fixing them or cleaning it up and you have lost almost an entire day of ministry because of timing setbacks.
When you have to ask "why!? why me? why now?"
When it's embarrassing or frustrating.
When you want to crawl in a hole till better luck comes your way
When it's topped off by you inbox being flooded with more bad-news emails.
When it's out of your control...

If laughter doesn't feed your soul, this knowledge will:
God is bigger than all of it and in complete control.
What is above our heads is under his feet and well within His capability to handle it.
That through everything, my needs are still met.


Forgetting the words to Happy Birthday and stumbling through the message actually caused a good laugh followed by a reminder of "yep, that's my sister". Family ties span oceans.

It's ultimately not my timing, but His. It's not my will but His. That because fewer showed up, I could spend more time talking with each person than feeling too stretched. (pumpkin night)

That when we run across a rotten egg in life, the smell doesn't last forever. And, that sometimes it creates a good reason to start fresh.

Although Novocain may numb the immediate pain, sometimes the pain is deeper than a quick-fix. Also, things don't always go my way, or the way I think they should. Accept it and find another way.

It can be one heck of a wake up call, but at least I'll be more aware, more cautious, and won't do that again. (falling out of bed)
As for the coffee - When my attitude is a little too bitter, add some sugar and everything smoothes out nicely.
And the pumpkin - sometimes we need to be humbled. We all make mistakes...I'm not perfect but as soon as I start acting perfect, I'm bound to screw up somewhere because you can only go so long without making a mistake - innocently or intentionally.

Some things have disaster written all over it from the beginning...do you take the challenge and learn through the process? or do you give up before you start and never find out what you can accomplish?

I still ask "WHY?" a lot...there's nothing wrong with that. Just know that you may not always get an answer...there may be no apparent reason that is revealed to you at that moment, or it may come years later. We may never know why things happen, but there is a reason.
I know who knows the reason, who can explain the why.
I know the Lord my God is in control - and in that, I find peace.

2 comments:

aSprinkling said...

Hello! I didn't even know that your blog existed until today. I follow along with some of the IMB missionaries in Poland through various emails and blogs. Anyway, I just wanted to give two responses to this post. First, on the pumpkin pie...I bet that the Poles didn't mind the missing sugar since they don't have tons of sweet desserts around anyway. Second, Ecclesiastes 11:6. It's one of my favorite verses. It assumes that some things will not work out but says we should try them anyway.

theologien said...

I so completely identify with your day...!